Friday, May 15, 2009

Workers rut...

Hmm... There seems to be a trend starting here. I haven't been blogging during the week, because when I get home from work, I'm exhausted. My job is not difficult or physically tiring; nonetheless, I've not had the energy or inspiration to write during my evenings. Rather, I talk to my guy, make supper, watch prime time network TV shows (which for me can be called research!), take a shower, tidy up and go to sleep. Boring, boring, boring...

Hopefully my worker's rut will soon be replaced by the true busyness and legitimate exhaustion of rehearsals. In Sunday's post I mentioned not auditioning for a role that was above my age range for a writer I worked with last year on the short musical festival. At their auditions they must not have found their character, because they sent me a second request to audition, this Saturday. It's right in the middle of the day, meaning it prevents me from trying to get a shift at Universal, but I did accept. I've not heard any more from the other writers who outright gave me a role, pending the hiring of a director...

Also, I went to Central Casting Wednesday morning to register for paid extra work. I planned to get there early, but as I've mentioned before, I am not at all a morning person. My GPS devise got a little turned around on the angled, dead-end, one-way streets of Burbank and my arrival was withing their time frame, but put me near the end of a fifty person line. I did expect that many people, but when I realize how incredibly slow the line was moving, I opted to leave, as to not have to head straight to work with no food and in dressy, chilly, uncomfortable attire. As I left I did have a very interesting encounter, but it deserves it's own post! The new plan is to get there this morning early enough to get good parking and be at the front of the line, however, I'm not feeling very well right now. Non-union registration happens on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and while I do not want to continue putting it off, it would be no great detriment if I feel like shit in the morning and I go on Monday instead.

Other than that... I found a dentist in downtown LA who actually thinks Invisiline braces will work on my teeth! (Invisiline is a series of clear retainers instead of a mouth full of metal and wires.) I had been previously told they would not; this doctor agrees I am the most difficult case he's seen for Invisiline, but says it's doable and the challenge quite frankly excites him, so I've now started that process. The way I met him is funny story, for another entry...

I still greatly dislike my job, but I'm toughing it out... I've gotten a deal a day this week, although one was post-dated and doesn't count yet, so I desperately need at least one more today to be at a more comfortable wage for the week. Amazingly, I closed my two best deals by myself, one being a strong sales move that resulted in a 50% down payment and the other was a really steep markup, which was amusingly, a complete accident on my part! Today a fellow employee was fired for leaving a mean message on a customer's voicemail. It's good to know that my company doesn't tolerate that type of behavior. On the other hand, I still don't like many of the sales tactics that I hear around me all damn day. I refuse to stoop to that level and am still not sure if I'll be able to do well enough to hang on to this job by doing it my way!

No comments: