Thursday, May 15, 2008

Is there a pill to make you a morning person?

Today all I had to do was go to a rehearsal from 2 to 5 p.m.

So my alarm started going off at 11 a.m. and I snoozed for at least a half hour until I finally rolled over and reached for my laptop, which always leans on the side of my bed. The last thing I do each night is send my boyfriend an email and the first thing I do every morning is read his reply…

I spend a good 45 minutes perusing the internet- submitting for roles on the booking websites I subscribe to, catching up on gossip on a few of my old cyber haunts, briefly chatting with someone (now that Facebook has a chat function that I forgot to set to invisible/unavailable).

Then my boyfriend called me during his hour lunch break, only for me to realize, “It’s after 12:30 here, I have to get ready for rehearsal!” I should have been able to quickly throw on clothes and makeup and call him back with plenty of time to spare, but no… I had to iron a garment, and then I spilled something on my bathroom rug, so I had to dig out my detergent to soak it…

Anyway, I called him back at 1:30 and we spoke briefly while I drove to rehearsal.

My point is- this is something I hate about myself- I don’t do anything until the first thing I have to do on any given day. Even if I set my alarm earlier, I’m a sleeper, and if I know I don’t have to get up, I don’t. Anyone else could have run several errands before a 2 p.m. rehearsal, but not me. Given the time difference, my lazy, sleepy ass makes taking care of left over Ohio business is virtually impossible!

In my own defense, I can and do get up when I have to. I used to get up at 4 or 5 a.m. for the company I worked for this spring in Ohio (I still technically work for them, but haven’t gotten any “gigs” here in LA with them). I became accustom to waking that early during college when I was part of a competitive academic team that traveled several weekends each semester.

Next week, I purposely scheduled an appointment with the Universal Studio’s HR department for 8:30 a.m. just to ensure that I actually have a productive day.

I hate being this way, I hate it!!! But I’m just not a morning person; I’ve tried to convert, but what can I say, I’m a devout pillow worshiper!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed so hard at this! I am sooooooo not a morning person! If I didn't have kids, I would sleep at least until noon.
;)
F/R

Anonymous said...

I have never been a morning person for 57 years. That's just how our bodies work and you will probably never change it. As a teacher, I would enter the building at 7:59 a.m. and hear numerous "morning persons" doing their GOOD MORNING! and I would mumble back in disdain.
You may have to adjust to a morning work schedule for several years but hopefully something will work out for you so you can sleep in the morning. I've thought perhaps allergies had something to do with mine, as allergens are highest in the morning when plants are pollinating.
I knew you would get the tour guide job. Hopefully it will bring you many contacts/leads and enjoyment.
Take care and be careful.
Nancy M.--in Ohio raising lots of wildlife babies and being sleep-deprived.